Information for Healthcare Providers
The PND Clinic accepts referrals for patients in LHIN 3 and LHIN 4. Please click here for more information about LHIN boundaries.
A healthcare provider’s referral is required for the first visit to the PND Clinic.
Please fax a completed referral form and all related information to 905-521-4955. The indication for referral and the urgency should be clearly identified.
Common indications for referral include:
- Abnormal ultrasound findings
- Positive prenatal screening (FTS, IPS or MSS)
- Previous pregnancy with a birth defect, chromosome abnormality or genetic condition
- Personal or family history of a birth defect, chromosome abnormality or genetic condition
Please note - The following indications are no longer routinely seen in the PND Clinic:
- Women who will be 35 years or older at the time of delivery. (Please see the SOGC Clinical Practice Guidelines: Prenatal Screening for Fetal Aneuploidy in Singleton Pregnancies.
- Isolated choroid plexus cyst (CPC) or isolated echogenic intracardiac focus (EICF) when the patient has completed screening and it is negative. (Please see the SOGC Clinical Practice Guidelines: Fetal Soft Markers in Obstetric Ultrasound.
All referrals require a dating ultrasound that confirms a viable pregnancy.
If available, please also include:
- Antenatal record
- Blood group and antibody screen
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Any other ultrasound reports for the pregnancy
- Prenatal screening report (FTS, IPS or MSS)
- Reports from other specialists involved in this patient’s current care
- Reports of abnormal findings in previous pregnancy or family member (ex. chromosome testing or specialist consultations)
- Other laboratory tests related to the reason for referral
All referrals are reviewed by a genetic counsellor and are scheduled based on urgency.
Healthcare providers are encouraged to call the PND Clinic if they have any questions about whether or not to refer a patient to our service.
To discuss a referral, please call 905-521-2100 ext. 76247 to speak to a genetic counsellor.
To inquire about the status of a referral, please call 905-521-2100 ext. 73135 to speak with a business clerk.